Friday, April 3, 2009

Tim is back in Sundell


Hey All;

This is Tim writing, completely humbled by what the dogs and I just went through. Words can't express the feelings that I went through over the course of the race, intense ups and downs, both severe when they occurred. I knew that would happen and it was one of the main reasons I undertook this adventure back in September. I needed what some might call a vision quest to clean out the drawers in my brain and it did work. I shook those drawers out upside down and the only ones there to witness this were some of my best friends, my dogs. Sounds corny, is corny, but I want to share this with you. The support that has come through from all those following has been immense and very powerful to me and will not be forgotten. In some ways I wish I had done this many years ago but, honestly, this was the correct year for us to tackle this monster of a race. And it worked. Holy cow and maybe I can finally grow some hair on my chest.

So, sitting here with a glass of single malt scotch and trying to reflect on different aspects of the race is actually quite difficult, there just is so much to rein in. Different parts of the trail and different times during the race all offered up completely opposite thoughts for me to process. Intense quiet, intense, long stretches of no human contact and the seemingly lost thread of time all contributed to me feeling completely in control for the first time in many years. What a great feeling that I allowed myself to experience, encourage and embrace. What a trip.

Speaking of trips, the hallucinations that happened I can't start to relate; it was like being back in college and about as expensive. The team broke into 2 separate strings of dogs running side by side. The dogs fannies all turned into the Muppets with Ms. Piggy being Eleanor, who was coming into heat. I was on the trail too long. Strip malls, radio shows in my head, the smell of creamed corn and my Mother's voice for the first time since she passed away last year. Sleep deprivation and exhaustion lead to some fascinating stuff. I felt like a monk out there. I found myself talking to the Guy in the sky. Again.

Cold. Yes, it was very cold. Went from 20 degrees to 35 below in 30 miles from Takotna to Ophir and never relented until the coast. The winds kicked up after leaving Iditarod and was right in your face for nearly 350 miles after that. Anywhere from 15 to 50 miles an hour and the dogs blossomed in that. We slept outside many times in this weather on the river, in the woods, at a few cabins. We had a party. Shit, it was the hardest thing I have ever done but found myself thinking it was the most fun I have ever had. Fifteen and one-half days behind a dog team. Yahoo!!

We conquered the trail in little bits and our mantra was "One tripod at a time." A tripod is a marker on the trail constructed of 3 poles lashed together and is a permanent fixture on the barren landscape. Anymore than that and I found myself getting sour about how far we had to go. Small bits, chewable bits, allowable bits of trail and the dogs understood that. We got stronger as we went, both mentally and physically; we were a team in the same endeavour and we depended on each other to get through it. I was told I would never be the same person after finishing the Iditarod and I hope that is true. Complete, content and headed in the right direction.

So, a few more highlights and low lights. Having Egil Ellis and George Attla as handlers at the restart was like having Babe Ruth and Cy Young telling me I can play baseball. Lou Packer saved my race in Nikolai when I was ready to scratch because I hit the wall and his Knute Rockne speech in (honestly) a locker room in the local school pulled me out of my downer state. I am so, so saddened that he had dogs die. He got stuck in a bad storm that some of us scooted through in the daylight and he tackled in the dark. Life can be so fragile and fleeting - he was lucky to make out it out himself -but I am sure he wished it was himself and not the dogs. I know I would have as well.

So much to share but I can't go on forever. Many folks to thank, especially Mary for her support and this hilarious blog. Next time we need Tom to add more as he is a fantastic writer as well. Too bad he wants to be a doctor verses a script writer for a comedy show. And thanks to my wonderful staff at the hospital for putting up with me and taking care of the shop. And thank you George. You are an elder to more than you know.


What is next? I am not sure but I am finding myself wanting to tackle the race again and see the northern route next year. The dogs have seen the trail and we all learned much this year. It is the hardest race we have ever attempted and I told myself a million times I was retiring from racing after this year's Iditarod. What the heck am I considering it again for? Stay tuned, I suppose.

And a very, very heartfelt thank you to all those that supported us and gave all sorts of encouragement and love. We did feel it out there, especially in the tough situations. It kept me going.

All the best and happy trails,

Tim

9 comments:

  1. Welcome back Tim. You da man. I'll have to make an appt. soon. Got a 9 week old great pyr waiting to meet you and hear your stories, it may take more than one appt. Later. pat & jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...welcome home! And we've heard, via the grapevine, that the drive back to Michigan was about as much a challenge as the race! Glad you made it safe, and we're so glad to see this new blog entry. We've been wondering if maybe you just decided to stay in beautiful downtown Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim,
    Congratulations and, thank you. We met several years ago when my cat was very ill. I now live in Kansas City Missouri but found my way to this vicarious adventure somehow. I miss the UP I guess.
    Mary's words were witty and powerful and evocative. Hallmarks of a great writer. I was drawn to witness your adventure because I needed inspiration. I have been writing a book proposal and my own journey has taken everything I had, and more, too. The more, as you know is the love. The love that inspired your journey and sustained it too. And, you likely met or at least conversed, with God too. It's way cool that you kept me going and that you brought back such wonderful things from your journey.
    You'll never be the same.
    All the best,

    MaryAnn Fry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to you Tim, to you Mary and especially to the dogs. ...dogs, sometimes, I wonder if God created them just to help us humans get our shit together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Dr. Tim and the biggest congrats to you. I had chills reading Mary's blog on more than one occasion. I was (and still am) so proud to call you our Vet. I felt as if one of my own family members was running it. I told everyone that I know "Our vet is running the iditarod" and then found myself telling them everything Mary was writing in the blog. She truly is a wonderful writer. Can't wait to see you in person to congratulate you. And can't wait to see if you do it again. You must be so truly proud of those dogs. (Did you let them sleep in the bed at least for one night?) You know that someone truly loves thier dogs when they are willing to set out on a two week journey alone with just them. I have that type of relationship with my own two dogs, and unless a person has that, they don't truly understand it. I cried when I read about people losing thier dogs, because I, too, would have wished it was me instead. Anyway, what a truly amazing experience and I am so honored to have been able to share in it.

    Brandi, Britney and Blue Petrocik

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back guys! I think the 3 of you should write a book about your adventure! Did you have a camera with you? Hope so-
    Jill & Mod squad- Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go, Tim and former kennel mates! When I was not working out doing laps around my dog house, I followed your progress on my laptop. I "aarfed-aarfed" every time you came into a checkpoint, but I really wondered just how long you were going to stay on that river! You guys ROCK!

    Guava

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geez Tim, We can't even begin to imagine what it was like out there for you & your dogs. I mean, we knew it wasn't a little trail trip, stopping for picnics along the way, but, life altering is probably an understatement. Thank-you for giving us a glimpse into your thoughts as you persevered in yet another great challange. When you write that book, 'A Tale of Tim's Iditarod', it certainly could start out, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"......the faint aroma of creamed corn lingered in the air, somewhere in between.

    Glad you're all back safely, on the still frozen U.P. ground.

    The Megyesi Pack... Sharon, Dave, Barney, and Harold

    ReplyDelete
  9. for those of us who have taken on the less traveled path, only to find that dream and reality make a poor marriage, you have provided inspiration.

    Funny how much time we spend chasing dreams, and running from reality, when both are omni present. Living in between requires resolve, and strength of charchter. These things, you have clearly demonstrated.

    You are a tremendous athlete, and deserved of much respect.....

    Glad you guys made it home.

    Time to oil up the ball glove Timmy, its only one night a week, and you provide personality to the team.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete